Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Finally! It Works!


Last year my sister-in-law & good friend, Ainsley Smith, got a Thermomix. Basically its a fancy machine for the kitchen that does everything - chops, grinds, mills, mixes, cooks, sautes', crushes. Its great for when you have young kids, are cooking at home all the time and are interested in eating a little more healthily. Its not cheap - but after reminding my precious husband how many mountain bikes he has bought over the years, I managed to convince him :)
It makes the most amazing custard and pasta and risotto and lasagne and... You get the picture?

We knew we where coming over to America by that stage and after a bit of research found out that they do not sell Thermomixes in America (something to do with the metric system). Because of the complex systems and motor, we also knew that it might be hard getting a regulator that was able to get it to work. But we decided to take the plunge and order it anyway, hoping that with some word of mouth info we could find the right regulator.

So began the long and arduous journey that I am sure was character building at some point...

It wasn't high on the list of things to sort out when we first got here, so after the first month of chaos and Danny having an enlightening conversation with an electrical engineer in Canada we ordered a convertor on the net. I waited 2 long and hopeful weeks till it arrived, plugged it in and HOORAY! we had power. I incorrectly assumed that power meant it was working but alas, when we switched the mixer on it gave us an error....

So we gave up and talked about sending the super machine home for my sister to use while we were away. Then Ainsley got in touch with an Australian dealer living in America who had a thermomix working with a more powerful regulator. So we crossed our fingers and ordered another one on the net. We waited 2 weeks for delivery and ... no regulator. After a period of wifely nagging, Danny looked into it and realised he had made a mistake with the delivery address. Aaarrrggghhh! So we corrected that and waited another two weeks for it to come.

Yesterday, after the second knock on the door, it arrived. We plugged it in, got power, turned the mixer dial and.... nothing. Damn! I was SO sad.... and over the whole fiasco. Danny took the regulator downstairs to send back to the manufacturer and that was that.

Then today Danny picked up a piece of paper floating around his office to throw in the bin. He gave it a quick glance and realised that there was a switch on the back of the regulator that you switched between Australian and American appliances. We had it switched to the wrong one.

Oops!



So ... we gave it one more try... and IT WORKED!!!!

SO SO SO excited!



2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! Now I can share my TM happiness with you. Recipes here we come - I'll try to send some today. We are about to have a big cooking time for focus time this morning. Savoury biscuits first, jam drops and then I'm going to try making my own potato chips. I'll let you know how it all goes. Happy cooking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did you make for dinner?? I'm excited that Aunty Sandy is babysitting your mums. She'll never go back!!

    ReplyDelete