Friday, May 13, 2011

:: i heart roller derby ::



The time has come to share my new love with you. For the last 6 weeks I have been taking off on a Thursday night down to the Derby Depot, home of the Wasatch Roller Derby, to learn the ins & outs of Roller Derby. Ever since Derby came back on the scene a few years ago I have wanted to play but it has not been so conducive to growing & having babies. Most reactions I have had from people back home in Australia when I told them I have started derby have been, "What?! I thought Roller Derby is really rough & people get hurt! You're so little!" Well... yes, it is rough & I am little but it's also a really fast game which requires a lot of tactical & quick thinking. Plus, its a really healthy way to get some aggression out, and I have always had some of that! 

Our track on one of my 1st nights.



Here's how I found out about the Red Rockette's. I was sitting in a coffee shop down the road & picked up a free magazine, In This Week. I turned to this article about the founders of the Red Rockettes & thought, "Wow. I have always wanted to do this!". The next morning I was showing Danny the article & I looked at the starting date for the new sessions. It was that night and if I wanted to start then I would need skates & pads. Hmm... my quick thinking kicked into gear & I was at the computer researching where I could get them from. I jumped onto Ksl.com & unbelievably there was a set of skates in my size with elbow, knee pads & wrist guards, basically brand new, just an hours drive away. So that afternoon I loaded the kids in the car & took a drive in just about the worst weather ever. When we got there I had to  wrestle the boys out of the car just as it started snowing. Inside the house the gear looked great & fit perfectly, so I took it home, very happy but just a little nervous cause now it meant that I had to go & give it a try. 

6 weeks later & I feel like I am doing great, considering I hadn't been on skates for a good 10 years. Every week I get more comfortable with the skills & just a bit faster around the track. There is really nothing better than getting a little bit of speed on some skates, dodging other girls, then having to pull out some tricky moves so you don't land in a heap on the track to be run over by whoever is behind you. In a few weeks we will get to have our first scrimmage, which should be scary & amazing. I might even be able to swing a babysitter so that Danny can come out for a look. 

As far as outfits go, I think that Jamin is looking a whole lot cuter than me, but he's 3 so I guess that's ok.



My derby name... Salty Vandal




So that is my new love. If you wana know more you can read some of these articles/blogs.
Red Rockette, Babe Rainbow's blog at In This Week
Wikipedia's take on Roller Derby

8 comments:

  1. What a fantastic story Salty! I had fun getting to know you last night while we perfected out hip whips and pushes! Welcome to the Red Rockettes,
    Temper-Edict

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing. Don't forget about the part where you got to help mark penalties & scorekeep for a scrimmage already. Your help was so vital for our league that night.

    Soy Cheezies,
    Rubber Raw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salty,

    I especially love your account of running around w boys in tow in that blizzard. That dedication and passion is contagious!

    Squish

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock Salty Vandal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for coming out and joining! You are already becoming a great addition to the league. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to have you join us! I look forward to getting to know you!
    DD Diamond

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best thing ever. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your post. It sums up so many of the feelings I had when I started last session! Can't wait to officially meet you in person -- I want to hear the slight accent. :)

    ReplyDelete