Thursday, January 27, 2011

< countdown >


The countdown has begun to our big trip back to Australia - 10 sleeps to be exact. After numerous changes in plans, our return flight on the 6th February looks pretty definite now. Travel plans in Danny's line of work change very frequently so I am somewhat used to it & have cultivated a flexible attitude many years ago. Our working holiday to Chile, South America with a 20 month old Jamin & Kael in my belly may also have helped with this flexible attitude. Let me tell you... there is nothing worse than Lan Chile (the Chilean airline). I should know, we took over 10 flights with them in our 4 week trip there & almost every time there was something else to deal with. 

Anyway... Obviously I love travelling with very young children. Umm... no. Danny & I often dream about the days ahead in our future when we can sit on a plane & actually watch movies, sleep & maybe even read a book. These dreams are often child free but we also like the thought of the boys being old enough to want to watch back-to-back movies on the plane. Jamin is slowly getting there. He talks to every visitor we have about whether they went on the 'DVD plane' & is seriously excited about going on the plane this trip home. I have given up any notion of trying to provide alternate entertainment. He can watch 13 hours of movies for all I care. Kael is going to be the challenging passenger now that he is running around, detests the car seat & has the attention span of a hyperactive squirrel.  Ah yes, I am so very looking forward to the 13 hour flight from L.A. to Brisbane. 

Let me tell you about a stroke of genius that Danny & I are still congratulating ourselves on. We had the foresight to book Mum's return flight home with ours. This totally tips the adult to child ratio in our favor & means that we can book a seat elsewhere on the plane so that we can take shifts. A stroke of brilliance, yes? I think so. 


The boys have their own luggage (another 2nd hand bargain) to carry on to the plane & I am in the throws of a packing frenzy, trying to plan for 7 weeks of summer in my favourite place with all of my favourite people. 

There are two brand new nephews who I get to meet & squeeze for the 1st time, lots of bigger nieces & nephews to reclaim my place of favourite aunty with & sisters to have long long talks to. Oh... I think that the plane trip might just be worth all I will gain from this visit home. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the DVD comment Al! :)
    See you soon,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete