Wednesday, January 12, 2011

:: far from the floods ::


I am feeling so incredibly far away from our home & family in Australia at the moment & yet also as if I am right there. I can picture the people & the places & have a bit of an idea in my head about what things look like after all that water (not really, I know). I can imagine just what we would be doing if we were still living in Toowoomba - hanging out with my Mum & sister who live just down the road. Sharing food & talking through how overwhelming the whole situation is. Danny might be trying to get out to his brother on the farm near Dalby to try & help there. 

But... we are here in America... a very very long way away from home, family & friends. It will be so weird to be talking about the 2011 floods in years to come & to say "We weren't there. We were living in America". It feels like we have missed experiencing a vital part of our history. 

It seems selfish to say but I am devastated at the thought that Mum won't be able to get to the airport on Saturday to come & visit us. It's like you look forward to something for so very long & then to think that it might not happen at all is just so sad. The road from Toowoomba to Brisbane is still cut off with rumours that it might be a few more days at least until it is reopened. But of course there are much more important implications from that... the town running out of food, fuel, and water. Much bigger things than Mum coming across the world to visit me. But I will allow myself that sadness while also feeling sad for all the people who have lost life, houses, memories & pets. 

So to all the people who hold a place in my heart living in Queensland - I miss you & wish that I was there to talk & hold a hand & give a hug. Know that I am thinking of you, praying for you & counting the days until we visit. 

3 comments:

  1. I totally get what you are saying Al....not selfish at all!

    :(

    Hugs

    Sheen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will your mum be able to come a bit later or is it just not at all now? That is so sad. It's hard to imagine what other people are going through that have lost family and homes etc but it doesn't mean what you are dealing with in your own life isn't important too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al, hang in there , I believe she'll be there a week later, no consolation for you at this moment in time, but she is coming!
    Take heart lovie and know we're thinking of you so far away from all the action of family and friends All our thoughts are with the Queenslanders at this timeLove you Aunty Jane

    ReplyDelete