
We bought this bike rack about a month ago after Danny assured me it would make our new bike-filled life a lot easier. As he had the 'Bike-Man' title in our family I never showed much of an interest in it's attachment to the car. I figured if & when I needed it, Danny would just do his thing & off we would go... Except he's not here right now & I wanted to do a bit of bike transportation myself. So after a bit of skype coaching, phonecalls, texting of pictures & reading of the manual I did get it attached to the car. Let me tell you... it's a lot heavier than it looks! I threw the chariot, helmets and Jamin's skuut bike into our volumous car, knowing that Danny would disapprove of my messy packing, & took off for Park City to visit a Australian friend who moved with us for RME.
It was a great afternoon & as I was driving the 1/2 hour trip home I was struck that I was driving alone along an American highway on a Thursday night with a car full of little boys & bikes. A little bizarre but I also felt really proud of myself that I had it in me to travel halfway across the world & still be able to make life work for me & the boys when Danny wasn't around.
I find that I spend a lot of time doubting myself - that I can cope without Danny to lead the way, that I do have the depth within myself to reach down and grab whatever it is that I need to get through what I am facing. But in the last year I have found that there is a lot more depth & resiliancy & bravery than I thought I had.
...and you know what? That makes me feel pretty proud of myself.
I'm so proud of you Al and pray that this time away can be one of tremendous self-fulfillment for you. I can also identify with learning new skills 'just because you have to'! Go Al!!!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Al! Nothing makes you feel more alive than trying new things and pushing your own limits. But more importantly (to me anyway) it is a great thing for your kids. How proud are Jamin and Kael going to be of their mummy and daddy that travel the world, and get out amounst it, and go mountain biking! All too often it is easier for us to just 'get too old for that'. But what is that showing your children,.. I hope I can keep pushing myself for that reason alone.
ReplyDeleteGreg
Amazing how it sometimes takes them being away to realise how much really can do ourselves. It is a great feeling. Good on you!
ReplyDeleteAnd you should be - I was going to post just that yesterday except I had issues and then added tiredness to the equation and well, bed was the best option. You are an amazing mum and an inspiring, strong, courageous woman of God girl. Thanks for sharing your journey Al!!! xo Suz
ReplyDeleteSo now you can do the mechanical stuff, Danny's only good for one thing...
ReplyDelete