Monday, August 23, 2010

:: my kitchen helper ::

Over the last month or so I have gained a new helper in the kitchen.

This is a very welcome step in Jamin's development because although at times it can be more difficult for me to have a 'helper' I have a dream that by the time he is 8 or so he will be able to cook a whole meal by himself.

There are a few parenting resources that I use that break down the process of training your kids to be able to do all of the household jobs by the time they reach their mid teens. Obviously this is a long and ongoing process of training but just imagine that! Your kids being able to help around the house and contribute with a willing and happy heart.

Belinda Letchford writes a great blog about all things parenting that has amazing insights and tips. You can find a blog post about Kids in the Kitchen Cooking Dinner that I found really helpful in breaking down the concept to the basics.

Mel Hayde also has an amazing book called Terrific Toddlers that I cannot recommend highly enough. It has a great section on starting to implement chores with your kids along with a multitude of other great tips, parenting ideas and beliefs.

So slowly slowly I am working toward these big goals.

Here is what Jamin is doing at the moment...

Baking assistant - we made apple pie which was delicious!


Putting away our esky from our shopping home delivery.


Unpacking the fruit into the fruit bowl.


Getting his own water from the fridge tap. This one is very exciting!
And yes... he is wearing a skirt. Who am I to keep a twirly skirt from a boy who loves all things dressing up, music and dancing.


So for now we will keep going with the little things and working on having a great attitude towards chores. So far so good :)

3 comments:

  1. That's great Al. I wonder what his first meal will be. He can practice with the felt food I have made him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Al, he will probably be cooking long before 8 - Ani already makes a great guacamole, plus she loves to make biscuits and scones! She does this all by herself including getting out the ingredients and mixing them (she comes up with some interesting combinations) and putting them on the tray, I then put them in the oven for her when they are ready. Often they are delicious (probably a bit too much sugar) but she is getting pretty good. :) Christina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Al, though Lindsay is a little worried about the skirt!! Won't be long and Kael will also be in there.
    Love Sue and LIndsay

    ReplyDelete