Tuesday, August 24, 2010

< what i've been reading >



A number of years ago I read the memoir by Ayaan Hirsi Ali 'Infidel' and found it to be one of those books which stretch and enlighten you in ways you can never imagine. You can read a short biography of Hirsi Ali here which gives a excellent background on her amazing life story.

I found this second book to be just as disconcerting as the first, giving me a personal take on the current state of Islam and its affect on the everyday family, woman and child. A review of her second book 'Nomad' that you can find here describes her writing style perfectly in stating that "she writes with a clear eye for detail and narrative flair of a novelist". Even though I did finish the book feeling very informed I didn't feel like I had read a paper or textbook, rather a letter from a friend about her worries and concerns about a really important topic in our world at this time.

You may also be interested in the AHA Foundation, which Hirsi Ali started in 2007 as a charitable organisation to help protect and defend the rights of women in the West against militant Islam. She is an amazing woman who is doing something to change both the larger culture and personal lives of women and children - something I find overwhelmingly inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment