The highlight of our road trip to Colorado was the afternoon that we spent in Aspen, Colorado. I hadn't actually put our whereabouts into any kind of geographical context so on Saturday night, when I was researching on the iPad what we could do the next day, I stumbled onto the fact that we were about an hours drive from the world famous Aspen snowfields. Further research concluded that the next day was the last day of the ski season. Danny & I both concluded that we had to make the effort to go, despite a lot of odds being against us.
I mean, how many people can say that they have been snowboarding in Aspen? (Actually, not me cause I had to look after the boys, but Danny can!)
The town is basically a Richville with Gucci, Prada & Ralph Loren lining the streets just waiting for the uber rich & famous skiers to finish their day out & spend some money on pretty things. And yes, the shopping district is just at the bottom of the ski slope!
A very Gilmore Girls looking gazebo in the middle of the park.
The base for the ski resort that is right in the middle of town. There are 3 others that are part of the Aspen Snowmass ski resorts just outside the town too, all linked together for super skiing fun.
We headed over to Aspen Highlands because it was the only one actually still open for the season. It's tradition on the last day of the ski season to dress up in crazy costumes & have a party around the slopes. The atmosphere was very fun & Jamin was the one in the family who fit in the most with his crazy winter hat & rockstar sunglasses.
At the bottom of the lifts.
Crazy costumes & the village shops.
Kael was very tired at this point but yet to have his super extreme meltdown in the middle of a snowstorm in the village park. Ah... such good memories.
The party at the top of the slopes just before a snow storm hit & put a dampener on the fun.
Here is the video that Danny took of a couple of people skiing & boarding through the pond. Jamin saw it & asked if Daddy had a go. Daddy said, "No, I didn't want to get wet!". I can understand that!
We have some fun memories from this afternoon that made all the pain, cold, blood (yes there was blood) & tears worth it. Sometimes you do just have to push through the hard times because you know that the memories on the other side will be worth it. This was one of those days...
No comments:
Post a Comment