I've spent the morning reflecting a little upon the year that is now behind us whilst watching the snow fall serenely outside our windows. Once again I am finding it a little odd to be facing new years eve surrounded by white snow & a bitter cold which keeps us sick ones indoors.
Eight months & three days into our American adventure I would have to say that I am still feeling quite rootless. We are well & truly settled into our home & the city but have made few friends & are yet to find a church that feels like home. It has been a year filled with new beginnings & a whole lot of highs & lows. Moments of loving this new country we are in & then moments of wondering if & how we are going to cope being here with two kids a day longer. We have had a lot of visitors who have enriched & enlivened our time here as well as two trips to Vancouver, Canada for work & to see our much loved Canadian family. Precede all that with 4 busy months of packing & planning in Australia & I think that I am happy to have come out the other end of this year!
We have watched our two boys learn & grow so much this year that I can hardly remember how far they have come if not for the photos that remind me everyday. They are beginning to play (& fight) together happily which gives me a wonderful vision of the future with two boys.
2011 will bring with it more visitors (Mum again in 2 weeks!), a 5 week trip home to Australia (anything less is a nightmare with jet lag & kids), more time on the ski slopes & then a whole lot of exploring the countryside in our caravan when the weather warms up. And of course my everyday wish to love my boys wholeheartedly, to teach them kindness & gratefulness, and a deep heartfelt love for their creator. I think that this next year will be just as big as the last one.
Here are few of my favourite photo memories from two thousand & ten...
Arriving at LA Airport - there are no words to express what memories go with this photo.
Waking up at our new house our first morning in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The first of many walks to our local park. Look how little they both are!
A hike to Cecret Lake with our first visitor - Oma.
Another favourite summer past time. Throwing rocks in the river with Aunty Linda.
A road trip to Canada for a beautiful wedding.
Fall hike to hot thermal springs.
A camping trip in the caravan in late fall. Riding bikes is our new favourite pastime.
Sammy visited & the boys made a new friend for life.
Practicing their snow angels.
The first of many trips to Moab.
Danny's parents visiting & a breathtaking view from the top of snowbird ski fields.
What a year...



Ali, I can share your pain of being away from loved ones and familiar places, Of the rawness of life with no one close enough to wipe the tears, and yet the wonder of new surroundings and the knowledge that this is where God wants you to be now and sharing these experiences with your best friend and husband and 2 little boys. Remember, too that Danny also shares these feelings although men do seem less emotionally affected by things that tear us apart they have different fears, Like have I done the right thing when he sees your sorrow and can I fullfill the work side off things but there is One who understands and He will uphold you all. Welcome 2011 with anticipation and joy knowing that there is a whole new year to fill with love and laughter, tears and disappointments and lots off new memories to make. Love you all Aunty Jane
ReplyDelete