Thursday, September 2, 2010

< the sleep wars >


Last night was another memorable battle in our families 'Sleep Wars'.

Maybe I should just give up & give in to the fact that my husband & my children have the same genes which create a, let's say, difficult relationship with Sleep. I, on the other hand, am very fond of my friend Sleep and welcome him into my night with gratefulness.

So... let me describe the wakefulness that visited our house in the middle of the night.

9:00pm - me & d turn off the light feeling sleepy & exhausted from a week of nights awake. Me because of wakeful children & d because of the joys of jet lag. We discuss the chances of all of us sleeping through the night balancing hopefulness with realism & just a pinch of pessimism.

11:00pm - d wakes up because in Australia he just had a nice little midday nap & is now ready to face the day. he goes to the lounge room to zone out with some t.v.

12:45am - j wakes up calling for 'mom'. d goes in to him & tries to calm him down to no avail. I get called in after 10minutes as his cries are escalating quickly. over the next hour i attempt numerous times to get back to the warmth of my bed but end up being nurse to j's wasp sting from earlier in the afternoon, cook (does frozen bread count?) as j is hungry & going through a growth spurt, toileter & snuggler. It became obvious when j was still a baby that he had inherited d's middle of the night wakings where he just cannot go back to sleep for 2 or so hours - last night was one of these.

2:00am - k wakes up & cries on & off for the next hour. i am still dealing with j.

2:30am - d & I are back in bed, listening to k. Finally we all drift off.

3:20am - k wakes again & because i am over it i go in to feed him.

6:30am - k wakes & i feed him, feeling supremely grateful that it is still dark & he goes back to sleep.

7:40am - i get up to try & get organised for the day & within 5 minutes j & k are calling happily to get up.

8:00am - d rises from jet lagged & sleeping tableted oblivion.

Surprisingly, I am functioning okay today with the snatches of sleep that I had last night. Having d to share the feelings of incredulity goes a long way.

I do have hope that one day we will all be sleeping through the night with the odd night of wakefulness but the question is when that day will come?



1 comment:

  1. Oh - yuck. I had one of those nights on Tuesday night. Jai decided to be awake with bad wind pains from 9:20 - 12:30. Then eventually went back to sleep, woke again at 3:30 and I pushed Scott out of bed to deal with that one but didn't go back to sleep myself. Jai back to bed at 4. Awake again at 4:30 so into our bed, like that is going to be helpful for my sleep bank. Anyway, after less than 4hrs sleep I was amazed how well I functioned the next day. I am just glad that for me it was a one off. I'm not sure how you cope with it so often! You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete