Monday, September 20, 2010

:: road trip :: home ::


We have made it back to Salt Lake City after a very long & tiresome drive. We decided to squeeze the return trip into two days and although it was lovely to get home at 4 o'clock this afternoon it did mean a huge 10 hour day in the car yesterday. We stopped for lunch & dinner but drove on through the night to arrive back in Boise, Idaho at 11 o'clock. My sleep monsters continued in fine form with K screaming the car down for a good 30 minutes & Jamin watching dvd's till we arrived at the rv park due to a daytime nap in the car earlier that afternoon. Danny commented wryly that the only ones still awake when we pulled in were him & Jamin. hmm... those damn genes.

Although I must admit that those genes did work to our advantage at the wedding on Saturday night. All we need to do is give Jamin a nap in the afternoon & we have a little boy awake & ready to party. Kael also had a little nap with Danny in the sling during the reception (why did I find that image so attractive? must be my life stage or level of sleep deprivation :) husband with a sleeping baby is so so sexy).

I spent some of the long hours in the car pondering home or just where that is for me at the moment... I knew that I was longing to be back somewhere but I was a little confused as to whether that was in SLC or Australia. But walking up the stairs & into our living room & kitchen helped me realise that yes, this is home right now. My boys hightailed it outside to play in the sandpit for an hour or two & I wearily unpacked the kitchen. Now sitting in the lamplight reading, chatting & eating Cadbury chocolate I feel the most relaxed I have since we left 10 days ago. I am still trying to decide whether to cost versus benefit ratio has paid off for the trip because it was very painful at times. But weddings are special & it will be a beautiful memory when life goes back to normal & my feet are feeling a little itchy for adventure.

We have a little less than 2 days left with my sister here & I am starting to feel the pangs of loss that will come once she has stepped onto the plane. There really is nothing like family & having my sister here has been almost too wonderful. Wonder how we will settle back into normal without her?

Linda & I at the wedding; Kael with my cousin Samuel.

I love this shot of Kael & I. We are so happy together... He is one snuggly kid.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Glad you're home safe. Enjoy your last time with Linda.
    Love Sue s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Al, we've missed being able to chat with you. I was thinking about the cost vs benefit of travel with kids and I think with the value of hindsight (which tends to help lessen the painful memories), that you won't regret these times of travel. They will become stories and folklore within your family, as well as creating a culture of adventure and the practice of stepping outside your comfort zone. Now get some well deserved rest!! Love you, Lara xx

    ReplyDelete