Thursday, November 4, 2010

:: around town - our library ::



When we were living in Toowoomba I didn't visit the library much. I had my sister's library across the road, plenty of our own kids books & a Mum who could get anything I needed from the library when she went each week. 

Coming to live in Salt Lake City I knew that it was time to start visiting the library a lot more regularly. I suffer from book anxiety - if I don't have a book sitting on my bedside table to move onto straight after the one I finish, I get a funny feeling in my tummy. Reading books to my boys is also one of my favourite past times and the few kids books we brought from Australia would drive anyone insane after reading them the 107th time. 

It was a very exciting day when we finally had enough American identification & paperwork to be able to apply for a library card at our local Sandy library. Last week when we were there I thought that I would take some pictures to show you how great it is. 



This is the kids reading area complete with children sized couches. The board book shelves seem to be perpetually trashed but no one seems to mind. I like that - more emphasis on reading & touching books and less on tidiness. I also love the bright rug in the middle of the room.



This is the puppet theatre right next to the reading area. The boys love to play in there & do puppet shows for me. The book shelves just beyond that have got characters featured on the tops of the shelves to show the kids where all their favourite books are. 

There is also a large dvd borrowing area & shelves of newly released books that sit in the foyer. When I am short on time with my two rowdy boys in tow it is easy to just whip through that area to find a few interesting looking books. I must say that I am keenly missing my reading partners in crime, Mum & Linda, but I guess a little independence is a good thing. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! may be I should send the pics onto Lake Macquarie library so they can learn a thing or two!they are pretty hopeless in the book department! I wonder if i hold the record for belonging to the most libraries? Lake Mac;Newcastle, Sutherland and Canning in WA.janep

    ReplyDelete