Wednesday, November 10, 2010

+ watches, beer & candy apples +

Sammy & I escaped to Park City today without the two little monsters boys (they were at family daycare) & had the best day. 

First we had a cleaning frenzy at home, breaking the vacuum cleaner in the process. But surely that means that we were doing a fantastic job right? Then we jumped in the car & headed out to an outlet mall just outside of Park City. I had been needing to go winter clothes shopping for about a month & just couldn't seem to get to it with the boys in tow. So today was my day & I must say that I did rather well. Clothes here are so cheap!

I dragged Sam into a Fossil shop & ended up discovering something about him that I did not know. Watches are to Sam what shoes are to some women. He loves them. So much so that he ended up buying not one, but two & you should have seen the huge grin on his face after the purchases. 


Sammy posing with our mornings purchases. See, I told you he was happy.

By about 2 o'clock we were both reaching melt down point & headed into Park City to do the touristy thing plus find some lunch. It was cold but not really snowing yet. Have I mentioned that I am very afraid of winter?


Historic main street in Park City.


After almost settling for a chain pizza joint due to extreme hunger & cold we kept going up the street & found this pub. It looks like you call it a saloon in Utah. Whatever it was, we were very happy we found a cool place to chill & have a beer. 


We both had Saloon Burgers which were made of buffalo meat & a really good draught beer called "cutthroat". The burgers were good (not sure if that was partly hunger) but they needed a bit of tomato sauce to go with.


The very authentic saloon - yes that is a chandelier made out of antlers at the front door. And yes I am 100% they were real. There was also a huge moose head mounted just above my head that we didn't notice till we left. It was a little unnerving to say the least. 

We rolled out of the saloon around 3 o'clock to stumble upon a real authentic candy shop that featured toffee apples made with all different types of chocolate bars. 


For the second time that day Sam was in heaven. 


Sam's oreo toffee apple. It was as good as it looks. 
He wants to go back. Tomorrow.

Did I mention we had the best day?

6 comments:

  1. What a great day! It made me laugh when you said Sam loved watches - you may not remember but that was Opa's favourite thing as well. He was always on the lookout for another watch to add to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh Auntie Sue - such a happy (funny) memory - Opa and his watches :) It's nice to have lovely reminders of him....I was thinking of oma today and wondering....???

    Al...what a special time u and Sam are having. Park City looks amazing...our best friend's daughter was ski instructing over there are couple of years ago and raved about the snow! We'd love to visit!! How long are u there for again??? Embrace the winter - don't fight it! Learn to ski or board and you will be a winter lover for life! ((hugs)) Sheen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like you are having the best time together and am very happy for you both!!!!
    Yes I think that Sam inherited the watch business from his Opa for sure..... He still has 2 watches at home ......maybe we should have kept count of Opa's watches and see who wins over the time.

    We often talk about our holiday and Uncle Rodney said yesterday(after Sam's phone call) "lets go back real soon !"
    Love to all, Auntie Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me of Opa's watch fetish?Its these memories that make the person so special and I still miss his wisdom -even at my age!
    Enjoy winter! its with you for a long time - even if you get time out in Aus!
    I won't be coming over during winter regardless of my lovely daughter's sentiment I remember the cold and the wet snow and the chilblains!All our love Auntie Jane and Uncle Hans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember once He had to go and test drive a new Holden because if he did he got a watch!He had no intention of buying a new car! But he did get the watch!Auntie Jane Could someone start a blogsite Memories of Opa Moes ? That would be so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the watch from the test drive! Opa was very proud of himself for getting something for nothing.

    ReplyDelete