So the whole of America is consumed with Halloween at the moment. There are more & more elaborate displays going up in yards everyday & the paper is filled with various Ghost Houses that you can visit for a scare. The yard display above is down the road from us & is one of the more tame ones. I drove past one this morning that had a fake graveyard complete with skulls in the front yard. Scary.
I have been quite resistant to the whole Halloween idea, despite the fact that my mommy friends have been planning their matching (yes, matching!) trick or treating costumes with their kids for months now. I don't really get it... Why would you voluntarily participate in something that is full of things that scare your children? Many houses have ghosts hanging from the trees in their front yards. Why would you do that? Do you want your child to be awake at night filled with fear about things that they would otherwise probably not encounter for a long while....?
One of the more kid friendly activities that you can do is to go to what is called a 'Pumpkin Patch' where the kids pick a pumpkin of their own to take home, go on a hayride & walk through a corn maze. I want to immerse myself in the culture I find myself in but I am also a little unsure of the wisdom of going along to these things. Despite this hesitation, Jamin started singing a song about getting scared by a ghost at Halloween in the car on the way home from Kindy today. So I guess it has happened whether I like it or not.
We have been invited to the Pumpkin Patch tomorrow & trick or treating in a few weeks. Still deciding if this really is a holiday that I want my imaginative 3 year old participating in...
I'll wait & see what sneaks up on me I guess...
I totally agree Al. I've never been able to understand it. It certainly will be interesting to observe first hand. Do they have Christmas things in the shops too?
ReplyDeleteNo, no Christmas things yet. It's different here... They still have the Thanksgiving holidays to get through after Halloween so I guess Christmas seems too far away just yet.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOK I know I said I liked the pumpkin thing, which was fun, but I HATE halloween. Don't get me started...biggest worst cultural difference for me. Hate it hate it hate it. I am done.
ReplyDelete