When I hear the words 'Pumpkin Patch' I think of the kids clothing store in Australia but since coming to America I have actually discovered the meaning behind that brand name & now feel a little embarrassed that I never really thought about it. That's marketing for you I guess?!
Every Halloween it is tradition for families to go to an actual pumpkin patch to pick their own pumpkin, which then gets carved into a jack'o'lantern for halloween. This morning, after an aborted camping trip due to Kael getting croup again, Jamin & I joined our good friends Merrilee & Boston for a trip to a pumpkin patch. This was a small one in someone's backyard & it had a lovely family feel to the whole thing.
Boston & Jamin checking out the merchandise. They give you cutters & even come & wipe the mud off the one that you have chosen.
After some advice from Merrilee we picked 4 appropriately sized pumpkins, corressponding with each persons place in the family of course!
"I pick this one!"
They were giving free tractor rides! Jamin jumped in twice he loved it so much. This was a bit odd as some of you might remember his normal reaction to all things loud. Isn't it great when kids grow out of things?
There was a beautiful apple tree next to a beehive that we had a look at.
Afterwards we stopped at a cute little coffee shop for morning tea. They had halloween themed cookies that the boys were pretty excited about.

Kael receiving his pumpkin on our arrival home. He thought it was a ball, then proceeded to try & bite it. 1 year olds are funny!

I know that I said that I was a little bit of a reluctant participant in all of the halloween festivities but I am really glad that we found something to do that is fun & full of great memories for us to bring home.
I will post about the pumpkin carving session to come in a few weeks.
That's a lovely post and outing Al! I am really appreciating seeing America through your eyes via your blog! Happy pumpkin carving ;) xo
ReplyDeleteGreat seeing all the pics! I had my very own pumpkin patch trip-it was actually one of the funnest things we did over there, and the carving afterwards. I have great memories of that day! So glad you got to do it.x
ReplyDelete