Friday, November 26, 2010

:: knitting update ::


So the knitting has been going well. The two realists in my life, Danny & Linda, are encouraged by the progress thus far, but are not yet willing to place any bets in my favor of completing the project. The weather is proving to be a motivating factor as today in Salt Lake City it's -6'c outside. 

Our little family is feeling just a bit miserable at the moment. We seem to be battling every virus that comes our way. Must be the new country & some different germs to what we are used to. There is lots of fresh white snow on the ground but going out to play is not really an option till we are feeling a bit better. 


My boys keep on wanting help with my knitting but end up removing the needles from the scarf or pulling out a lot more wool than I need. Ah well. We are all exciting that Mummy is making something. It has been a while, not including the Big Red Car & other kids projects that take up our days.

Anyone got any tips for knitting with toddlers help?

4 comments:

  1. Keep it up Al, You'll get there and no I don't have any tips for little helpers unless its to try to teach them to Knit! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rule No.1. Don't let them touch your knitting!
    Rule No.2. Diversion. Set up a 'shop' at the opposite side of the room. Tell them you have to sit and do this knitting (sound bored, like it's a chore or else they want to do it too) but you reeeaaally don't have time because you have so much shopping to do. Then you ask them to do you a BIG favour and go in their big red car and take a shopping bag and buy some ...(whatever you have out) can of corn. Then off they go to the 'shop' and bring it back to you. If they are fast shoppers you might get a few rows done. But if you make a mistake and they need to return a few items, you might get more done. You could even get them to do home delivery back to the pantry.
    Rule No.3. Boundaries. If they don't want to play the above, just tell them to leave you alone and growl if they step over a certain piece of wool you place on the ground. :) :) They will still grow up into well adjusted adults.

    Can you tell I am good at diversion? I should be doing the washing, tidying up and having shower. I'd rather catch up on a few blogs and write :) (Sorry, I don't think blogs are supposed to have such epic comments left on them. Have a great day. Uncle Mark says hi)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Al for getting into a new project!!! I'm with Diana!!! Knitting is Mummy's and a definite NO GO for the little people. Diversion is wonderful if you have the imagination but I still find the kids catch up with my mental capacity to think of something new way too quick!:) Stick to your guns and I look forward to a photo of you wearing the finished project!!! Love Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is looking good. Firstly I would recommend point prrotectors - a rubbery thing you put on the ends of you needles when you aren't knitting to prevent the needle being removed from the knitting. Secondly, I also agree that my knitting is a no-touch zone but I also know that I shouldn't leave it lying around temping them. I tend to knit when they are watching TV or I take it outside when they are playing or eating MT or lunch - whenever I have to be nearby but don't have to be doing stuff with them.
    By the way, I've told Sue she isn't to do any of it for you!! Hee hee. Because I know you can do it all yourself.

    ReplyDelete